1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 19, 2017 7:16 PM by Mat Gallien RSS

Speaker DC Resistance

Mat Gallien Adventurer

I recently purchased a Leviton Mixing Audio Amplifier and two sets of 8-Ohm speakers.  Before connecting the amp and the speakers I wanted to make sure the speakers were configured correctly.  I used a DIMM (Digital Multimeter) to test resistance of one set of speakers which I had wired in parallel.  The results was about 2 Ohms.  Since I have the 2, 8-Ohm speakers I expected to get a value of 4-Ohms.  Why the difference?  Will this setup damage the amplifier?

• Re: Speaker DC Resistance
    Mat Gallien Adventurer

When testing for DC Resistance from a loudspeaker using a Digital Multimeter the value will typically be less than the rated Impedance, a number equal to half of the rated Impedance is not unusual.  2, 8-Ohm speakers in parallel would have an impedance of 4-Ohms, but could provide a DC resistance of approx. 2 Ohms).  This is normal.  Impedance is calculated based on the reactance of a load as it varies with AC signal frequency.  The rated Ohm value for a speaker (8 Ohm, 6 Ohm, etc.) is the average Impedance the speaker will provide to the Amp when operated as a loudspeaker.