1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 10, 2014 9:58 AM by GOrrigo RSS

Need help converting to GFCI switch/outlet combo

Hello I have been banging my head against a wall for a while and need some help installing a new GFCI switch/outlet combo. I am suing a Leviton x7299-W. In the picture below you will see two switches right next to each other. The one on the left is the switch/outlet I want to replace with a GFCI and I have put the wiring setup of the outlet below. Now the second switch on the right just takes power from the left switch and controls a light fixture.

The setup on the left controls an overhead light fixture and the source wires are controlled via the breaker.

Really looking for some guidance here on how to convert to GFCI. The closest I could get is have the GFCI control the overhead light but the power to outlet wouldn't work unless the overhead light was off...i never even attempted to provide power to the second setup on the right.

Scan_Pic0002.jpg

• Re: Need help converting to GFCI switch/outlet combo
    Adventurer

Mike,

The X7299 has the two black leads coming off the device which are to be connected to the hot and switch leg of the local load you wish to control with the switch (it cannot be wired to control the receptacle).  You would also tap off the source hot and neutral, to the LINE brass and LINE silver terminals, respectively.  From there, you would run a wire off your LOAD brass terminal (which would be carrying voltage at this point) to one of the leads of the single-pole switch.  You also need to run a wire off the LOAD silver terminal, and connect it to the rest of the neutral wires that should be tied together in the next box. The remaining lead of the single pole switch would remain connected to the switchleg wire which is running down from the load.

Keep in mind, in this configuration, the overhead fixture that the X7299 controls, is not GFCI-protected.  If you wish to protect the load as well, you'd have to wire the switch terminals off the LOAD terminals as well, as indicated in the photo below:

Wir 7299 Switched Load GFCI protected.JPG

If you're still having issues, it may be best to call us direct to speak with a representative. We can be reached at (800) 824-3005 (Mon-Fri, 8AM-7PM, EST).