10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2015 12:04 PM by Ron Dunn RSS

IPS02 turns on immediately after turning off

I just installed an IPS02 motion activated light control in my pantry. It worked properly a few times, but then started turning itself back on as soon as it went off. If I turn it off manually it will stay off, but then next time it is motion activated it goes back into this cycle. I shut off power at the breaker, and when I turned it back on, it again worked properly a few times before going into this state. I've tried adjusting the light level dial through the full range. It does stop cycling if I turn it most of the way counter clockwise, but then it won't turn on automatically.

Is this a defective unit, or is there a problem with the positioning or lighting in that room? There is one CFL on this circuit, a 15 watt bulb if I recall. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• Re: IPS02 turns on immediately after turning off
    Adventurer

Jann,

How quickly is the sensor cycling, every few seconds?  Is it more of a strobe effect?  Or is there a longer break between the lights turning on or off?  Are the lights staying on as long as there is occupancy in the area, or does it flash even when people are in the area? If you feel that it may be more effective to troubleshoot your issue over the phone, please call our support line at 800-824-3005 so a Leviton representative can review your application.

Thanks for your response. The sensor shuts off after about 30 seconds, as intended. It then turns back on a second or two later, stays on for about 30 seconds, and repeats this cycle. The lights stay on when people are in view of the sensor - the only problem is it turns itself back on after shutting off.

Adventurer

Is the unit properly grounded with the ground wire going back to the circuit breaker?  If there is not a proper ground, then that can cause the issue you are experiencing.

RE: The sensor shuts off after about 30 seconds, as intended. It then turns back on a second or two later, stays on for about 30 seconds, and repeats this cycle. The lights stay on when people are in view of the sensor - the only problem is it turns itself back on after shutting off.

----

I have the same problem with a slight twist.  Some brands of LED bulbs work fine and others or combinations of different brands cause this problem.

The sensor has been working fine for 8 months with 2 CFL bulbs in an overhead fixture.. 

I bought two brands of LED bulbs from Home Depot

Ecosmart 60W replacement, 9W

Cree 60W replacement, 9W

Results:

1 Ecosmart bulb works fine

2 Ecosmart bulbs exhibit the stated problem

1 Cree bulb works fine. (I only have one Cree so did not test with 2 Cree bulbs)

1 Cree bulb and 1 Ecosmart bulb works fine

Leviton customer support is sending me a noise filter and I suspect it will fix the problem.

I suspect the lower end Ecosmart bulbs are putting to much noise on the line when I use 2 of them.

I suspect the Cree is less noisy so the sensor works fine, even when used with one of the Ecosmart bulbs.

I hope the noise filter fixes the problem so I can use the cheaper Ecosmart bulbs with no issues.

Hope this helps,

Ron

P.S. Leviton support is great!

I had the same exact problem with this same model.  It would stay on for 15 minutes with a motion activation. Then it would shut off for two seconds, then back on.

After reading the posts here, I elected to call the nice folks at Leviton techicial support to see if they could help me.  They said it was line noise from other things in the building, ballasts, etc......

They are sending me a noise filter for free to add to the "load" side of the occupancy sensor.  They said this would solve the problem.

Hope this helps!

Adventurer

If the sensor is cycling on immediately after turning off.  There may be an excessive amount of line-noise that is causing the sensor to falsely trigger.  I suggest calling Leviton Technical Support at 800.824.3005, as we have a limited number of inline noise filters that can be installed to help alleviate any sensors that are exhibiting this behavior.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
  • This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.