2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 9:43 AM by Eric Cohen RSS

When to break the brass tab on 5252

I installed a 5252 in an box with two black and two white wires. According to the instructions in the carton you are supposed to break the tab between the two brass screws and leave the one between the silver screws intact with this setup. But now only one of the outlets work. There was a video on Home Depot's web site explaining the installation that had the same wiring as I do (four wires, self grounding metal box) and it didn't say anything about breaking the tab, so now I'm not sure which one is correct. I'm thinking the Home depot video since only one outlet is working.  I'm wondering if I should buy another receptacle and just attach the four wires and leave the tab alone.

• Re: When to break the brass tab on 5252

I think I figured it out. I thought the second set of wires were power from a second circuit. It looks like they aren't. They are going to power a second outlet elsewhere in the room. So I think for this set up I would connect one set of wires to the top two screws and one set to the bottom two and leave the tab unbroken. Does that sound correct?

• Re: When to break the brass tab on 5252
      Adventurer

The tab is only to be broken when you have 2 different circuits (2 different hot wires coming from the breaker panel) powering each of the receptacles separately.  You would have to determine which wires are in your wall and what they are by using a multimeter or have an electrician come out to inspect your wiring.  Please feel free to call into our tech support team at 1-800-824-3005 for further assistance.