1 Reply Latest reply: May 23, 2013 12:38 PM by Leviton Technical Representative RSS

Ground wiring for a GFCI outlet?

I have a GFCI outlet that shows "Open Ground" using a tester (the ground light is actually flickering). I've tried tracing the line back to where the ground isn't connected/poorly connected, but unfortunately i can't find it. The GFCI outlet self test light is green, and tests fine using the test/reset buttons.

So, is there any real issue with not having a proper ground connection? If this was a regular outlet, I can't understand the need, but since this is a GFCI outlet, what am I really losing on by not having a ground. (This outlet is next to a sink)

-E

• Ground wiring for a GFCI outlet?
    Tracker

Since a GFCI does not use the ground connection to detect ground faults the GFCI receptacle will work without a ground wire connected. However the GFCI receptacle is a 3-wire grounding device so the National Electric Code will require that it is labeled with a "no equipment ground" sticker if a ground wire is not connected. If you did not receive the “no equipment ground” sticker with the GFCI give us your address and we will have them sent to you.