1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2013 10:33 AM by zacsmith RSS

What connects to what?

I am getting ready to build a home and wire the CAT5e and RG6 Quad myself. I have purchased a 42" Leviton SMC, a Leviton 476TM-524 Patch Panel, a Leviton 47611-GT4 Router, a Leviton 47605-DP AC Power Module, a Leviton 47611-8PT Ethernet Switch and a Leviton 47693-16P CATV Module, all on recommendation from Leviton and their system design service. We will not have phone service from the phone company because we don't use a house phone but we will have service run to the house to help future proof the house. My questions are these.

1)  What connects where? How are the router, patch panel and the switch all hooked together? I understand that the CAT5e wires from the RJ45 wall jacks throughout the house will be run to and punched down to the back side of the patch panel. But how do I get the internet service to the patch panel for it to distribute to the 24 CAT5e lines hooked to the back? I looked for a video on your website but couldn't find one. I did find one that might have helped but when I clicked on the link it said it was not available. Do I use a patch cord from one of the ports on the switch or router to plug into one of the ports on the patch panel? If so, will that distribute the signal to the rest of the ports on the patch panel? Or do I need to connect each port on the patch panel that I want internet to, to the router or switch with patch cords? If so, how do I do that without enough ports on the router and switch? Any drawings, diagrams or videos would be greatly appreciated!

2)  Is there a recommended placement of all these components inside the 42" SMC? I will be using a cable modem I have purchased previously and am currently using to get cable and internet from the local cable company.

3)  Do I hook the cable modem to the switch or the router or does it matter?

4)  T568A or T568B?

This will do for now. I'm sure I will have more questions but this is a good start.

Thanks!!

Brian

• What connects to what?
    Scout

1) The patch panel is where you land your cabling that comes from the locations in the home. The connections on this board are 1 to 1, meaning that each punch down is connected to one port. So every port you want to make active you will need to connect, via a patch cord, to a router or switch. If your router has four ports that means you can connect for location. If you want more than that you can for example get a 8 port switch. A switch is like a router in that it that it takes single data signal and splits it into multiple signal, but a switch does not assign IP addresses. A router does assign IP addresses, the router is the main controller and the switch is just a expansion of the router. You connect the router to the switch by simply plugging a patch cable from one to the other. Any of the outgoing ports from the router can be used to make connection to the switch, on the switch you should plug into the WAN or LAN port. If you do not have enough ports available for the amount of location you have then you need to get a bigger switch with more ports.

2)There is no recommended placement of components inside the enclosure. The only recommendation is however you arrange them try to keep the cabling in mind. You will need room to make all your connection so leave space between components to do so.

3) This is the order things should be connected  MODEM>ROUTER>SWITCH

4)T568A is for residential applications, T568B is for commercial applications. So if you are installing this in your home use T568A.