6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2014 3:48 PM by Scott Miller RSS

VR106 Z-wave dimmers and LED bulbs

I have several VR106 600w z-wave dimmers.  I want to replace the incandescent bulbs with LED's.  I did this in one room with a 3 way switch (remote switch has an led locator light) that powers 4 can lights.  This caused the remote switch to stop working.  I replaced one LED with an incadescent and everything worked fine.  My bulbs are 13.5 watt Feit LED's.  I went on Cree's website who make the Ecosmart bulbs for Home Depot and the VP106 and RP106 Vizia dimmers are listed as compatible.  Before I go and drop $130 on new LED bulbs, I was wondering if the VP106 and VR106 perform the same?  I called Cree and tech support said the VR106 hd not been tested with the bulb I was looking at (CR6).

I know I could replace my dimmers with low voltage z-wave dimmers but that defeats the purpose of saving money with LED's.

• Re: VR106 Z-wave dimmers and LED bulbs

I have a lot of these dimmers and have had no luck with LED bulbs. I can get them to work (sort of) by increasing the load on the circuit (such as by having at least one incandescent bulb in place)--but this defeats the purpose and the incandescent bulb has different light characteristics (brightness, color) than the LEDs. If only LEDs are used, the dimmer becomes more like an on/off switch...at full brightness, my LEDs will come on, then dim a bit as the dimmer is dimmed, then turn completely off at something like 75% brightness.

I'm really hoping that Leviton will introduce a low-load (LED and CFL) version of its Vizia+ series, including Z-Wave options! For the time being, I've set my LED bulbs aside waiting for a better solution.

Adventurer

The minimum load rating on the VPI06 and the VRI06 is 40w which can cause the issues that you are experiencing.

I've read that the VRE-06 series is appropriate for these low-load (LED) situations. But the documentation is a bit confusing...they're characterized as "low voltage" units, but the specs say 120v rated for 600w. Is that just a hold-over from the VPI-06 specs or is the VRE model the one to use? When I read "low voltage" I was assuming more like 12v or 24v. Like the original poster, I would like to replace dimmers covering circuits with between 3 and 8 120v/~40w halogen bulbs with similar 120v (but much lower wattage) LED bulbs.

I'm not thrilled by the cost of the VREs, but...having installed a huge number of other Leviton Vizia switches dimmers, regular switches, Z-wave, etc. at my facility, I'd like to keep them all looking the same.