4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2017 10:45 PM by Jason Good RSS

Patch panel wiring diagram needed

I have two panels marked Leviton PWA 58159 - looks like at CAT5 patch panel, and PWA 58163 - distribution panel.

Cannot figure out how to connect in the phone, works fine for internet.

Wondering if anyone has wiring diagram / schematics and usage guide.

• Patch panel wiring diagram needed
    Scout

PWA 58159 and 58163 are molding numbers , the actual part numbers are 47603-TDM ( Large board with 3 rows of ports and one white clip) and 47603-C5 ( narrow board with 6 black ports and 6 white clips). The 47603-TDM is a phone distripution board. You terminate your incoming service line on the white clip labled "From Demarcation" to provide signal to the board. Up to 4 incoming phone lines can be used, each port has a number sequence under it telling you which of the 4 lines are available on that port.

The 47603-C5 board is a board for landing your cables on that come from throughout the house. You can then make connection to these wires using the ports on the board. Each port connects to one white clip, they are not bridges meaning that you can not just make one connection and provide signal to the entire board.

BASIC SMC CABLE ROUTING.png

• Re: Patch panel wiring diagram needed
      Jason Good Newbie

I have the Leviton TIDP in the above diagram. I have my incoming phone line connected properly from the demarc.  All I want to do is connect all the phone jacks in my home to the panel so I can plug phones into those jacks and have them work.  I only have a single phone line. But when I plug in those phone lines (Cat5e) to the TIDP board it doesn't work. I can get one phone line to work. But as soon as I plug in another one it doesn't work.

What I don't understand is using the "patch cords" to connect the TIDP to the other boards you have in the diagram above. Why can't I just plug all of the phone lines from my various rooms in the house directly into all of the RJ45 ports on the TIDP?  Every diagram I find the patch cords are in use and it talks about how easy it is to reassign service in the rooms which isn't making sense to me, frankly.

I have EXACTLY what is in the attached picture.  I don't understand why the lines for phone are not just run right into the TIDP. Why the patch cords to the other panel? And how do I know which ports on the TIDP to patch over to the other panel?

• Re: Patch panel wiring diagram needed
        Darby Scout

The TIDP and patch panel are designed to be a "patching" based system. A patching system has a few benefits:

1) Crimping on your own male ends is a common point of failure in DIY installs, so this system avoids it by using factory made cords and the more robust 110-style punchdown for the in-wall cable.

2) With all your wires terminated to the patch panel, it is simple to switch ports from voice to data. You would remove the patch cord from the panel to the TIDP, and instead go from panel to router.

As far as why your current setup is not working, is the photo you attached your installation or is that a shot from the somewhere else? It would be helpful to see your exact setup.

(As far as your other question "Why can't I just plug all of the phone lines from my various rooms in the house directly into all of the RJ45 ports on the TIDP?" you can, it's just not something we recommend. Due to the two reasons given above, it makes a more robust, less failure prone, and more flexible installation to use the patching system as intended. That being said, there's no reason you can't plug them all in if that's what you'd rather do. Just make sure you are wiring your male plug ends properly (T568A).)

All of the 12 output ports on the TIDP should be live with dial tone if you have connected the demarc properly. Have you taken a phone an plugged in to the ports to test?

If you are getting dial tone out of the ports, then by using patch cords from those ports in to the ports on the panel you want to activate should give you dial tone.

This sort of thing can be challenging to support through this format - perhaps you can give us a call at 800-824-3005 (option 1) or email to appeng@leviton.com and we can go through some more troubleshooting.