7 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2012 9:57 AM by almen74 RSS

Problem flashing firmware on VRC0P-3

Hi folks -

I attempted to flash to the newest firmware on this link: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCZzpHome.jsp?minisite=10024&respid=22372

The Zensys file flashed ok.

When flashing the system update file, it never completed, and I followed the directions (#7)  in the instruction pdf ('If the update process is interrupted ...').

Now, the VRC0P-3 seems bricked. Power cycling the VRC0P-3 yields no blinking green LED. No communications are possible with the unit.

I googled and found that another person was only successful flashing using Win XP; unfortunately I saw this only after using Win 7.

Please advise.

Many thanks!

• Re: Problem flashing firmware on VRC0P-3
    Tracker
    1. Close Serial Bootloader software
    2. Cycle power to the VRC0P (unplug from outlet and plug back in)
    3. Open Serial Bootloader
    4. Reopen the system update file
    5. Click on the “Continue” check box
    6. Then click the “Start” button to begin the update process

Note: If the program becomes unresponsive again, repeat all the steps above.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
      • This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
  • Problem flashing firmware on VRC0P-3

Has this been fixed?  I also "bricked" one of these devices by updating.  Light stopped blinking, no matter what I did.  Tried the suggestion above, but it didn't seem to continue the process.  Got a replacement unit from my dealer.  Now, I don't want to do it again unless I hear that this has been fixed?  One error that I made was to not close the serial bootloader software prior to starting the second update.  Maybe that was the issue?  Thanks.

• Re: Problem flashing firmware on VRC0P-3
      Tracker

Yes, you would need to close the program and cycle power to the device if the update procedure did not complete.

Also, you must make sure to check the “Continue” checkbox when reopening the program.

When the light stops blinking, it is because you are updating the system microchip.

When the update process does not complete the device stays in the system update mode.

This is normal and does not mean that the device is no longer functioning.

This is also why you would need to click on the “Continue” button, to let the software know that the device is already in the system update mode.

Once the update process is finished, the system application would run and the LED will begin to blink again.

I had hard time flashing firmware but after few hours of nonstop trying I was able to do it. First I was using my USB to serial adapters for my laptop and I was not able to do it no matter what. Then I switched to one of those Ethernet to serial extenders and first file flashed on first try and was also validated. But trouble started when I tried to flash second file. It took me about 15 tries and finally it went through and validated. My laptop is running Win 7 32bit. I agree with Leviton tech that not having light on your module does not mean you bricked it. Mine did not have any light as it supposed to with second file. You should monitor your data activity light on your computer serial interface to see if there is still activity. I do have one question. How do you check what firmware version you currently have on VRC0P-3?

I could not update VRC0P+3 firmware using a TRENDnet TU-S9USB to RS-232 converter. I am running Win7-64. The Serial_Bootloader program would freeze at “Programming” on the first bar of "Zensys V0_30_U01.HEX" status update.  The TRENDnet is highly rated, and I have successfully flashed other products using this converter.

As a backup procedure, I purchased a SIIG CyberPro PCI 4S card to attempt flashing latest firmware. This procedure worked correctly. It took multiple attempts because the verify step failed on second file. It's frustrating to have to purchase extra hardware that will only be used for special purpose.

Will Leviton provide a list of operating systems and USB-serial converter products that are compatible with Serial_Bootloader.exe and VRC0P+3. I understand the number of combinations/matrix may be large. Since other people are struggling with flashing also, a minimal list test matrix would be helpful.

The other day I helped my buddy with this. To save myself from all this frustration I found dell latitude D610 laptop at my work running Windows 2000 that has built in serial port.  It worked first time both files. No retries.