7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 2:43 PM by cdhan RSS

Leviton 51120-1

Does this device require a dedicated circuit or can it be added to an existing circuit that is closest to line?

Thanks Shawn

• Re: Leviton 51120-1
    Tracker

Preferably you would want to select circuit breakers as close as possible to each service entrance lug. Twenty-Amp (20A) circuit breakers are recommended, and may share SPD device and branch circuit leads. The breakers provide additional failure protection as well as a SPD connection and servicing disconnect.

• Leviton 51120-1

I have no existing "freed-up" breakers in my 200 amp service panel.  They all are associated with their own circuits.  I know you say that the SPD device can share a circuit but how do you hook up the wires?  Aren't the breakers rated for only one wire under the screw and not two?  I have a double pole 20 amp breaker located close to the main service entrance lugs I'd like to use, but again, it currently has wires already attached to it on a circuit. 

Thanks,

Chris 

• Leviton 51120-1

What if I were to "pig-tail" the wires from SPD to existing wires on the double pole 20 amp breaker and then go with only one wire back under breaker hold down screw?  Is this an exceptable option per code?