5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 11:02 AM by Rob Ramirez RSS

rf+ for 4way dimmable led?

What rf+ zwave switch set-up will work to control overhead lights from 3 locations where only one has the connection to the lights that are mixed halogen & dimmable led bulbs. Would like to use with mi casa verde controller. thanks

• rf+ for 4way dimmable led?
    Tracker

We don't offer a dimming control that is capable of handling a mixed load of halogens and LEDs.  If it is a incandescent halogen that is not driven by any low voltage transformer then you can use a VRI06-1LZ up to 600 watts and VRI10-1LZ up to 1000 watts.  As far as dimming LEDs, depending on the driver, it is recommended that an electronic low voltage control is used.  For more information on dimming LEDs check out the application note here.

Thanks for the response, but you didn't answer the other part of the question related to the four way function. Would I need 4 VR 106 or just one with three of the less expensive companion switches? I want to program them so all work the same hall lights from different locations. I have neutral but no reliable travelers from the three locations that now do not control the switch.

RE; led I have some insteon switches that work fine with mixed incandescent halogen & LED. With one of the bulbs it comes on a half second after the others but all the other switches & bulbs work perfectly together. I would like to switch out from Insteon to your switches for more reliable z wave control. I'm surprised none of your switches have been tested so you could suggest LED bulbs that would work. I suggest this capability will become more important soon as LED quality increases & prices continue to drop. I believe most people will want to change over to LED as regular bulbs burn out so mixed situation capability will be of value. FYI GE zwave makes mixed capability with their web description of zwave switches but I prefer Leviton quality.

Tracker

To have control from four locations that don't not have the 4-way wiring in place you would need to use one VRI06 and three VRCZ1 controllers at the other locations in which you would like to control.

As far as controlling LEDs you can check out the compatibility application note here.  Again, there would be no dimmer that we offer capable of controlling incandescent lighting and LEDs, unless the LEDs that are being used can be controlled with an incandescent dimmer.  To be sure check with the LED manufacturer to confirm compatibility.

Hello-

I have a similar question.  I have documentation that says I can use VRI10 (with LED's) with matching dimming remotes VPOOR.  I am using dimmable LED bulbs that work in a standard incandescent socket, but we haven't even gotten that far yet.  After four hours of trying every diagram he could find from Leviton, we could not get the dimmer and the remote to work, or even light the locator LED's. 

So two questions.  First, do I have the right set of switches?  I have two four way locations and several three way locations.  And secondly, am I wrong to assume that since the light fixture (these are can lights) has no separate low voltage transformer, (I'm assuming the voltage change happens inside the bulb itself?), that I can use dimmers that are meant for incandescent fixtures?

Also, what's the best way for my electrician to get some guidance from someone who speaks his language?

Thanks

Wayfarer

The electrician would be best served by calling Technical support at 800-824-3005.

Never assume that an LED is the same as incandescent, always contact the LED manufacturer for confirmation of a dimming technology (or even a suugected dimmer part number).

The 2 diagrams below are the only 2 methods for wiring your devices, which depends on whether you have a VP00R-1L or VP00R-10.

These devices are elctronic and do not wire like traditional 3-way or 4-ways.

VRI10.PNG